The team of instructors from Cognition Coaching is excited to return to the Philadelphia area to offer MTB skills clinics for riders of all ability levels. A series of 3-hour clinics will progress through an extensive curriculum of skills. Register for the one that interests you most or register for them all. It is entirely up to you. Hit the "Show all Notes" button below to see exactly what skills are taught in each clinic.
Each clinic will be instructed by one or more certified instructors and limited to 6-8 participants. This small group size will allow for individual and personal attention. Some clinics are for women only. Mature teens and middle-schoolers are encouraged to register. Let a certified professional teach your child and they will progress more quickly with great technique while remaining safe. Unsure if your child is ready to attend? Please email or call to discuss further. We'd love to include the young shredders.
Ben Tufford is the owner of Cognition Coaching. After many years of riding and racing, Ben turned to helping others to find the joy of mountain biking while reducing their learning curve. As the former Coach Licensing Manager for NICA, Ben wrote the On The Bike Skills curriculum and trained thousands of coaches in NICA leagues around the country. He was also an Instructor Trainer for the Bike Instructor Certification Program which certifies MTB instructors. Ben doesn't just teach MTB skills. He teaches and certifies others to teach MTB skills. Why not take advantage of this opportunity to learn directly from him?
Essential MTB Skills Clinic (3 hours)
- Balance and Body Position
- Speed Control and Braking
- Bike and Body Separation
- Three Methods of Climbing
- Intro to Cornering
- Intermediate Cornering
- Rock Dodge
- Switchback Turns, Up & Down
Trail Progressions Clinic (3 hours)
- Dynamic Weighting (Pumping)
- Wheel Lifts
- Basic Front Wheel Lift
- Basic Rear Wheel Lift
- Level Lift
- Intro to Manuals
- 1/4 Punch Wheel Lift
- Technical Drops
MTB Hopper & BagJump airbag Jumping Clinic (3 hours)
- Attending the Trail Progressions clinic is strongly encouraged.
- Intro to jumps with the Cognition Portable Jump Line.
- Learn the proper technique to handle more varied and larger jumps.
- Go BIG with the MTBHopper Area 51 ramp and BagJump airbag.
- Flat Pedals are required! Learn proper technique and jump safely on flat pedals.
What to expect:
- A fun learning environment utilizing an established skills teaching curriculum.
- A professional instructor that creates a supportive environment of equity and respect. Participants will feel inspired to connect with each other, try new things, and celebrate their successes.
- A La Carte sessions allow you to get more of what you want at a lower cost. Register for one session or as many as you wish. Get what you want in one day or spread it over two days. It's all up to you!
- Low registrations may force a consolidation or cancellation of some sessions. Register early and tell your riding friends.
What to Bring:
- Fully functioning mountain bike. Please go over your bike well in advance to resolve any issues.
- Bike helmet and other riding gear
- Flat pedals are strongly encouraged and required for some clinics. Although clipping in is great for efficiency and competition, flat pedals create a better opportunity to learn proper technique and try new things safely.
- Snack, drink, sunscreen and bug spray.
- Refund requests will be honored up to 7 days before the event.
- Within 7 days, refunds only if there are people on the waitlist for your category.
Mother nature does not always cooperate. Clinic start time and duration may be altered due to inclement weather. In the event of a postponement, categories may be rescheduled to the earliest convenience. If unable to attend, a credit will be issued for a future event.
Local COVID-19 Guidelines will be adhered to:
- If you are not feeling well or showing any flu-like symptoms, you will be asked to stay home.
- Social distancing of at least 6' will be maintained throughout the day.
- Bring a mask and expect to wear it while in close proximity to others.
- Sanitizing gel will be available throughout the day.
- Participants are encouraged to bring their own drink and snacks.
An inherent risk of exposure to COVID-19 exists in any public place where people are present. COVID-19 is an extremely contagious disease that can lead to severe illness and death. By visiting these clinics, you voluntarily assume all risks related to exposure to COVID-19.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact Ben Tufford.