Cycle The Solstice
A benefit ride for Horn Farm Center for Agricultural Education
Presented by The Cycle Works
On Saturday, June 18, The Cycle Works of Wrightsville, Pennsylvania, will be hosting the 6th annual Cycle the Solstice bicycle ride to benefit The Horn Farm Center for Agricultural Education. Cycle the Solstice is a 30- or 62-mile bike ride through York and Lancaster counties. The purpose of the ride is to showcase both the beauty and the bounty of the river valley in eastern York and western Lancaster Counties. The proceeds from this event will be used to help the farm recover from the devastating fire that nearly destroyed the historic farm house in October of 2021 and continue to carry out their mission.
The general format of each ride will have riders leaving from the beautiful grounds of The Horn Farm Center in the morning, riding their chosen loop at their own pace, guided by GPX files that can be loaded on their favorite device or printed cue sheets, and returning to the farm upon completion of their loop. Along the way, riders will stop at local small business farms and markets for refreshments produced at the farms and other local food and agriculture businesses.
ALL ROUTES REQUIRE SOME CLIMBING! This is, afterall, a ride through the Susquehanna River VALLEY! We promise, your efforts will be well rewarded with beautiful views of the valley! Those familiar with the area will note we've avoided all the big climbs and have tried to keep it as tame as possible! We consider all the routes to be continuously rolling with the occasional mild climb peppered in!
Course Maps, GPS Files:
- 30 Mile Route: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/29635953
- 62 MileRoute: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/30034335
- PARKING is available onsite. Parking will open at 6:30am.
- REGISTRATION will open at 7:00am. Day-of registration will be available for $3 extra. You may pick up your registration packets at the Horn Farm starting at 7:00am on Saturday or save time Saturday morning by picking up your registration packet on Friday June 17th from 6pm - 7pm at The Cycle Works.
- FOOD - A light breakfast and coffee from The Cycle Works Coffee House will be available at registration. There will be a post-ride meal included with your registration back at the farm in the corn barn catered by Leg Up Farmers Market.
- ENTERTAINMENT - Bend the Rails
- RAIN OR SHINE - Unless the forecast calls for something epic, the rides will roll wet or dry.
- COURSE MARKINGS - Due to unforseen circumstances, we will not be blazing the courses this we., PLEASE PLAN TO DOWNLOAD THE COURSE TO A GPS ENABLED DEVICE OR PRINT CUE SHEETS, ideally close to event date to allow us to update the courses with the rest stops, etc. You can print out cue sheets from the Ride with GPS links above.
- EQUIPMENT - No gravel sections this year (sorry). You will use low gears on your cassette for this ride, but we feel the climbs aren't steep or long enough to require special climbing setups. Look and the elevation profiles once they're posted!
USA CYCLING MEMBERS - If you have an ACTIVE license, we are offering a 5% discount on your registration. Email us with your name and license number and, once verified, we'll send you a single-use coupon good for 5% off your registration cost.
Even if your family is not able to do the cycling events, bring them along to enjoy some outdoor fun while you ride. Here are some local venues to enjoy the Great Outdoors during the longest day of summer:
- Samuel S. Lewis State Park – bring a kite!
- Rocky Ridge York County Park
- Emig Park in Hallam
- Mason/Dixon Trail
- Indian Burial Grounds at Susquehanna Gateway Heritage Trust
- Enola Low Grade Biking/Walking Trail
- Northwest River Trail