Race day info!
We’d like to thank you for your participation in the Do No Harm 5k Run. This email includes important information in preparation for race day:
- This is a virtual 5k experience that can be completed anywhere on October 2nd or 3rd at your own pace
- Use something to track your run. People commonly use fitness apps or smart device distance trackers. We’ve made a Nike App Challenge found here: https://nikerunning.app.link/kYyYPYFHSjb
- Registration is still open until October 3rd at 11:50pm, so continue to spread the word!
- When the event opens, you will be able to submit your results by text, email, or online here
- To receive your bib, click on your RunSignUp profile when the event opens. Under "upcoming events," find "Do No Harm 5K." There will be an option to print your bib on the right
- Make sure you send us or tag us in your race selfies! Instagram: @donoharm5k . MSU Alumni and students are encouraged to wear your Spartan gear to kick off the Homecoming Weekend!
- Participant perks: you will earn bragging rights and a Do No Harm 5k t-shirt. Please expects delays in shipping during these COVID times.
- After the race we will be hosting a Visual Reflection of the event. Please register in advance. Zoom information is below:You are invited to the Visual Reflections of Do No Harm Zoom meeting.
When: Oct 3, 2021 03:00 PM Eastern Time (US and Canada)
Register in advance for this meeting:https://msu.zoom.us/meeting/register/tJYtde2trj4jGdztqaCJL2811Elr9BExnEKu
After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the meeting.
- Sponsorship Packet (details about donation tiers, perks, etc.):
If you have any questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to contact us at email@example.com
Origin of the Race:
Do No Harm 5K seeks to continue to push for universal support for the needs of marginalized communities and perhaps even show that supporting the needs of one community, actually creates pathways to better health and humanity in others. This year, the focus of our inaugural walk will be on Black lives lost, Black trauma, and Black mental health. To this end, half of the proceeds from the 2021 Do No Harm 5k Race will go to Flint Odyssey House, which provides client-centered substance abuse and mental health treatment for adults and families. We seek to provide pathways to continued education on the needs of Black communities and continue to remind people that those needs are basic needs, vital to the success of any human life. The other half of the proceeds will go towards an emergency fund for medical students in Flint.
In previous years, Michigan State University (MSU) College of Human Medicine (CHM) Flint campus students have held the Flintstone Challenge, a 5K geared toward raising funds for the Flint Classroom Support Fund. COVID and national attention given to systemic racism in our nation created a shift in focus as current MSU CHM Flint medical students have turned their sights to developing a new 5K: The Do No Harm 5K. The death of Ahmaud Arbery in Georgia, coupled with the death of thousands of people from underserved communities in the Flint and Detroit areas due to COVID-19 has provided an avenue for activism for students and community members through the Do No Harm 5K.