The Co-op Feed Your Neighbor 5K is a family-friendly event supporting the Good Samaritan House of Carbondale. The race will be held Friday, April 14, 2023.
Our 5K course is professionally certified; the course begins and ends at Turley Park, on Old West Main and Glenview, Carbondale, IL. The route runs through the residential area behind the Murdale Shopping Center.
• Only $20 for adults and $10 for children 14 and under ($25 & $15 if you sign-up the day of the race.)
• This race is professionally timed
• Certified course
• Participants can run or walk
• 5K begins and ends at Turley Park, on Old West Main and Glenview
• 4:30pm registration opens for preregistered and day of sign-ups. Race promptly starts at 6pm.
• Live music
• Family friendly
• Prizes for top female and male runners
• Snacks and refreshments for participants
Additionally we are asking participants to bring nonperishable food to give to the local food pantry.
Good Samaritan House of Carbondale serves a wide variety of people, including persons with mental and physical disabilities, families evicted from their homes, veterans with nowhere to go, and persons who have lost their jobs. They have an Emergency Assistance Program to assist clients in paying rent or utility bills to prevent them from becoming homeless. Good Samaritan House also assists in paying for prescriptions, work shoes/clothes, transportation to interviews, doctor appointments, and more.
Top overall female and male will win a $100 Co-op gift card! Top male and female of each age category will be a bread winner! Yes you will literally win a loaf of bread shaped as either a turtle or a rabbit. (It's just a fun way to reward our runners!) Additionally, every participant will be entered for door prizes.
Since 1999, more than 2,000 race participants have been part of this great event, supporting Good Sam.
Not a runner? Alternatively, you can help and not have to participate in the race. This year our goal is to have 200 people donate $10 each! Donations go directly to Good Samaritan and can be done online, see below.
GOOD SAMARITAN HOUSE
All proceeds will support Good Samaritan House of Carbondale, which provides a food pantry, soup kitchen, emergency shelter, transitional housing, and emergency assistance to the area’s most vulnerable citizens. All donations stay local! Good Samaritan provides:
• Emergency Shelter or Transportation Services.
• Food Pantry to offer food and commodities.
• Soup Kitchen to provide balanced meals 3 times a day.
• Transitional Home for those who need help making a smooth transition to living an independent life again.