Run for Ladson is a virtual and in-person 5k fundraiser for our dear friend Ladson Webb and his family. In April 2020 Ladson was diagnosed with ALS, also known as motor neurone disease. Over the past year and a half, Ladson has lost the use of his arms and legs, and requires a full-time nurse to tend to his needs like toileting and feeding. He‘s unable to chew and swallow food, so gets his nutrition through a feeding tube directly to his stomach. He now communicates with an assistive communication device known as EyeGaze which tracks his eye movements so he can speak aloud and send messages.
This has been an extraordinarily difficult time for Ladson and Xandria. It is said that ALS is an illness of financial attrition. Ladson has recently become eligible for hospice care, however he and Xandria pay out of pocket for private duty nursing because insurance and Medicare doesn't cover this. They have a daytime nurse which costs $5200 a month, and they are trying to employ a nighttime nurse 3 days a week, which costs $3200 per month. The night time nurse is critical to the health and well-being of the entire Webb family. Without this night nurse, Xandria is up most of the night providing care. With the addition of stretch therapy, monthly expenses for Ladson’s care total $10,500.
Ladson has spent most of his life enjoying and participating in running, rock climbing, hiking, camping and soccer. Your virtual participation in this fundraiser will not only alleviate some of the financial burden, but will help us celebrate Ladson and Xandria's love of the outdoors and their love of healthy physical competition.
Registration for these events are FREE. We just ask that you contribute a $30 donation to the Webbs when you register. You can contribute more if you feel so compelled. All of the donations will go to the Webb family to support them with Ladson's medical care, and their health and well-being.
1. VIRTUAL RUNNERS: You can participate virtually by registering for the 'Run for Ladson' virtual event. Run a 5k (3.1 miles) and submit results (instructions following registration) on the results tab of this website. There is also a photo competition! Please post a photograph of yourself and/or your group on our facebook page to qualify for prizes.
2. NORTHERN VIRGINIA RUNNERS: If you live in Northern Virginia, you can run virtually OR you can register for the in-person Northern Virginia event on January 22nd at 9am at the Roosevelt Island Parkrun. There will be coffee, snacks and fun chat following the run!
THERE ARE PRIZES!!
1. Fastest male overall: $50 e-gift card to Ragged Mountain Running Shop
2. Fastest female overall: $50 e-gift card to Ragged Mountain Running Shop
3. Fastest Male Under 20: $25 Amazon Gift Card
4. Fastest Male 20-40: $25 Amazon Gift Card
5. Fastest Male 40+: $25 Amazon Gift Card
6. Fastest Female Under 20: $25 Amazon Gift Card
7. Fastest Female 20-40: $25 Amazon Gift Card
8. Fastest Female 40+: $25 Gift Card to Pacers
9. Best photo on Social Media Post (use the hashtag #RunForLadson or post on our Facebook page): $25 Gift Card to Pacers Running
10. One name chosen at random to receive a $25 amazon gift card
In-person NOVA Run specific prizes:
11. Fastest Male: Nuun Tablets/Instant Hydration Bundle + Baldega Socks
12: Fastest Female: Nuun Tablets/Instant Hydration Bundle + Pacers WindBreaker
13. One name will be selected at random to win fabulous artwork donated by artist Emily Wade
*There is a 'no double dipping' policy so no one will receive more than one prize.
Thank you to Nuun, Pacers, Ragged Mountain Running Store, and UVA friends of Xandria for their generous donations toward race prizes.
For those of you who pray, please keep Xandria, Ladson and their young children in your prayers - for healing first and foremost; for the knowledge of God's love, grace, provision, and presence; for financial resources; and for God's peace that passes all understanding.
"But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint" Isaiah 40:31